Pursue your passion! Give back to the community!
Who can Apply?
How to Apply?
The IEEE Smart Village New Talents Program supports talented individuals, who aspire to become Smart Village Entrepreneurs or Volunteers to provide electricity in the most vulnerable communities in the world. IEEE Smart Village provides leadership opportunities and financial support to participate in the IEEE Power Africa Conference and Smart Village workshops in Accra, Ghana - June 27th to July 1, 2017.
Be a leader for a new generation!
The Smart Village Ambassador program is built to help you become a leader. What does that mean?
A leaders brings people together. A leader has vision, confidences and integrity. A leader never gives up. A leader is not afraid to take a risk or try new ideas. A leader has compassion and strength. A leader gives back to their community.
The ideal candidate:
1. Understands and embraces ISV’s three pillars: Electricity, Education and Enterprise
2. Demonstrates startup experience with success
3. Builds respectful relationships with communities and treat them as working partners, not charity cases
4. Establishes respectful relationships with authorities at the village, state and national levels
5. Creates an excellent management team with business, technology, and education components
6. Develops a clear vision of a business plan capable of reaching at least a million people in five years
7. Forsees the ability to attract investment capital for growth after a successful pilot
8. Envisions an ownership plan that includes and incentivizes community members as business partners
9. Willing to collaborate with holistic partners in addressing other critical needs
10. Passionately dedicates themselves to tackle the daunting challenges along the way
The application package consists of:
Completed application material with signed release form and three essays (see button above)
One reference letter scanned, with contact information from past or current professional supervisor or mentor
Scanned official transcript of highest level of education achieved and/or currently in progress
Please send the complete application package to
The submission deadline is May1st.
The successful applicants will be notified of the results after May 18th. Incomplete or late application materials will not be considered. Selection decision is final, there is no appeal process. Successful applicants will have to apply for the Power Africa conference and pay a reduced fee. For further information please contact .
More information about the conference and our generous sponsors:
What is IEEE Smart Village?
The IEEE Smart Village New Talents Program is about developing leadership, community involvement and global connections.
At the PES Power Africa Conference you will meet with members of the Smart Village Leadership that can guide you to become a Smart Village Energy Entrepreneur. At the Workshop you will network with a new generation of Smart Village Entrepreneurs that are building and operating successful and sustainable micro-utility business across Africa and India.
What does the program include? - Scholarship up to $1,500 to cover the following fees:
Potential visa fees
And participation on unique Smart Village workshops, events and activities
This is a highly competitive grant. Only a few scholarships will be granted with a maximum of $1,500 per individual. Smart Village may award less than $1,500 as solely determined by Smart Village based on the merits of the application and perceived need. Smart Village funding will not totally cover all expenses as outlined above. Award recipients must cover a portion of expenses from their own resources. Scholarship funds will be paid to award winners on a reimbursement basis subsequent to the conference upon submission of expense reports with documented receipts.
IEEE Smart Village stimulates social enterprise by providing renewable electrical systems, start-up training and ongoing support to help poor, energy-deprived communities globally build toward sustainable prosperity.
The goal of IEEE Smart Village is to engage ten Smart Village Entrepreneurs each year, support them with up to $200,000 of seed funding and help them grow a micro-utility business that will impact a million people with clean electricity, communications and quality education.